Our Summer Academic Program is an opportunity to improve the educational outcomes of children in the Kansas City community. The program is an 8-week academic & enrichment program for students entering Kindergarten – 8th grade (volunteers work primarily with 1st – 3rd grade students). Students focus on reading & literacy skills with the help of certified teachers and VOLUNTEER TUTORS (that could be YOU)!
- Dates: June 5th – July 28th, Mondays – Fridays (closed July 3rd & 4th for holiday weekend)
- Times: 9 am – 12 pm (Volunteers may stay for any length of time during the 3 hour window of 9 am – noon. Feel free to come for 1 hour, or stay for all 3 hours.)
- Locations: We offer 16 locations! See the full list here.
- Volunteers may set up a flexible schedule. We LOVE when volunteers can come consistently (once a week), but we are open to dates that work best for your schedule.
- Requirements: Volunteers must be at least 12 years of age to serve at the Upper Room. Any volunteers 18 years of age and above must fill out a Background Check Form. Please fill out and return. (You may email to firstname.lastname@example.org, OR mail it to The Upper Room at 2803 E. 51st Street, Kansas City, MO 64130.)
“I am a teacher and I cannot tell you how impressed I am with your program. So simple, yet so perfect.” -Brooke
New volunteers: please fill out this volunteer application to get started. After you complete this, you will receive an email with further instructions about signing up on our schedule for volunteering!
Returning volunteers: click on the “Volunteer Info Center” to simply sign up on the schedule for dates! No need to fill out the application again. If you have any questions about volunteering, contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Mallory Gobet at email@example.com.
What is the role of a volunteer tutor?
- Tutoring simply means you will be reading one-on-one with our students. A tutor will most likely work with different students from week to week, assisting each student with his/her reading skills.While reading, we ask that you have the student practice reading out loud TO the volunteer (not the other way around). If the student’s teacher gives different instructions, you may listen to the classroom teacher. It is recommended that you come as consistently as you can, but we are flexible with our tutoring schedules.
Are there any requirements?
- Yes. All volunteers must be at least 12 years of age or older to participate. Any volunteers 18 years of age and above must fill out a Background Check Form. Please fill out and return. (You may email to firstname.lastname@example.org, OR mail it to The Upper Room at 2803 E. 51st Street, Kansas City, MO 64130.) This information can also be filled out via our Online Application.
How does scheduling work?
- Volunteers are able to schedule themselves online! We would love for volunteers to come as consistently as they can, but feel free to choose dates based on your own availability. Some volunteers may choose to come once a week, some may serve more or less frequently. To sign up online, please log in to the Volunteer Info Center and click “Sign up.” If you cannot log in to the Volunteer Info Center, please email email@example.com.
Is there any training required?
- Although training is not mandatory for volunteering, many volunteers find this video helpful in preparation for their first volunteer date. We are proud to work alongside Turn the Page KC, who produced this video for our use. Click here for a 5 minute training video!