Volunteer sign ups will begin at the end of March. Check back soon for more information!
Our Summer Academic Program is an opportunity to improve the educational outcomes of children in the Kansas City community. The program is an eight week academic & enrichment program for students entering Kindergarten – 8th grade (volunteers work primarily with 1st – 3rd grade students). Students focus on READING with the help of certified teachers and VOLUNTEER TUTORS (that could be YOU)!
- Dates: June 5th – July 28th, Mondays – Fridays (closed July 3rd & 4th for holiday weekend)
- Times: 9 am – 12 pm (Volunteers may stay for any length of time during the 3 hour window of 9 am – noon. Feel free to come for 1 hour, or stay for all 3 hours.)
- Locations: TBD for Summer 2017
- Volunteers may set up a flexible schedule. We LOVE when volunteers can come consistently (once a week), but we are open to whatever works best for your schedule.
- Requirements: Volunteers must be at least 12 years of age to serve at the Upper Room. Any volunteers 18 years of age and above must fill out a background check form. Please fill out and return via the instructions on the form (this can also be completed online through the volunteer application – see below).
What is the role of a volunteer tutor?
- Tutoring simply means you will be reading one-on-one with our students. A tutor will most likely work with different students from week to week on the student’s reading skills. It is recommended that you come as consistently as you can, but we are flexible with our tutoring schedules. While reading, we ask that you have the student practice reading out loud TO the volunteer (not the other way around). If the student’s teacher gives different instructions, you may listen to the classroom teacher.
Are there any requirements?
- Any volunteers 18 years of age and above must fill out a background check form. Please fill out and return via the instructions on the form (this can also be completed online through the volunteer application – see above).
Is there any training required?
- Although training is not mandatory for volunteering, many volunteers find this video helpful in preparation for their first volunteer date. We are proud to work alongside Turn the Page KC, who produced this video for our use. Click here for a 5 minute training video!
The Summer Program 2017 is made possible by our partnership with Kansas City Public Schools.