The After School volunteer sign ups are closed at this time. If you are a returning volunteer, you may access the schedule on our Volunteer Info Center. For questions, contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Mallory Gobet, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The ONE to ONE Challenge is an opportunity to improve the educational outcomes of the children in the Kansas City community. As tutors in this effort, we are asking for ONE hour, ONE day a week to work with 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grade students ONE on ONE in reading (please note, that is not required for volunteering, and volunteers are more than welcome to attend more often if interested).
Dates: Mondays – Thursdays throughout the school year, September – May. (Please note, the program will take off the same days as school districts for holidays, teacher workdays, conferences, etc.)
Times: 4:30 – 6 pm, Mondays – Thursdays
Locations: we will offer two locations this year including:
- Holy Cross Catholic School, 121 N. Quincy Ave, Kansas City, MO 64123
- Kansas City Neighborhood Academy, 1619 E. 24th Terrace, Kansas City, MO 64108
- Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church, 2310 E. Linwood Blvd, Kansas City, MO 64109
Requirements: Volunteers must be at least 12 years of age to serve at the Upper Room. Any volunteers 18 years of age and above must fill out a background check form. Please fill out and return via the instructions on the form (this can also be completed online through the volunteer application – see below).
Returning volunteers: click on the “Volunteer Info Center” to simply sign up on the schedule for dates! No need to fill out the application again. If you have any questions about volunteering, contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Mallory Gobet at email@example.com.
What is the role of a volunteer tutor?
- Tutoring simply means you will be reading one-on-one with our students. A tutor will most likely work with different students from week to week, assisting each student with his/her reading skills.While reading, we ask that you have the student practice reading out loud TO the volunteer (not the other way around). If the student’s teacher gives different instructions, you may listen to the classroom teacher. It is recommended that you come as consistently as you can, but we are flexible with our tutoring schedules.
Are there any requirements?
- Yes. All volunteers must be at least 12 years of age or older to participate. Any volunteers 18 years of age and above must fill out a Background Check Form. Please fill out and return. (You may email to firstname.lastname@example.org, OR mail it to The Upper Room at 2803 E. 51st Street, Kansas City, MO 64130.) This information can also be filled out via our Online Application.
How does scheduling work?
- Volunteers are able to schedule themselves online! We would love for volunteers to come as consistently as they can, but feel free to choose dates based on your own availability. Some volunteers may choose to come once a week, some may serve more or less frequently. To sign up online, please log in to the Volunteer Info Center and click “Sign up.” If you cannot log in to the Volunteer Info Center, please email email@example.com.
Is there any training required?
- Although training is not mandatory for volunteering, many volunteers find this video helpful in preparation for their first volunteer date. We are proud to work alongside Turn the Page KC, who produced this video for our use. Click here for a 5 minute training video!
If you have any questions or concerns regarding volunteering with The Upper Room, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Mallory Gobet, at firstname.lastname@example.org.