Our After School Program is an opportunity to improve the educational outcomes of children in the Kansas City community. The program runs throughout the school year for students in Kindergarten – 8th grade (volunteers work primarily with 1st – 3rd grade students). Students focus on reading & literacy skills with the help of certified teachers and VOLUNTEER TUTORS (that could be YOU)!
Dates: September 11th, 2017 – mid-May 2018, Mondays – Thursdays (our program will take off the same days as school districts for holidays, teacher workdays, conferences, etc.)
Times: 4:30 pm – 6 pm, Mondays – Thursdays (Volunteers can feel free to come for 30 minutes or stay for the entire 1.5 hours. We are flexible with your scheduling!)
Locations: We currently offer two locations for this school year.
- Holy Cross Catholic School, 121 N. Quincy Ave, Kansas City, MO 64123
- Metropolitan Missionary Baptist Church, 2310 E. Linwood Blvd, Kansas City, MO 64109
Requirements: Volunteers must be at least 12 years of age to serve at the Upper Room. Any volunteers 18 years of age and above must fill out a Background Check Form. Please fill out and return. (You may email to firstname.lastname@example.org, OR mail it to The Upper Room at 2803 E. 51st Street, Kansas City, MO 64130.)
Other Info: Volunteers may set up a flexible schedule. We LOVE when volunteers can come consistently (i.e. once a week), but we are open to dates that work best for your schedule. To get signed up, please see our Volunteer Application below. For questions, contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Mallory Gobet, at email@example.com.
New volunteers: please fill out this volunteer application to get started. After you complete this, you will receive an email with further instructions about signing up on our schedule for volunteering!
Returning volunteers: click on the “Volunteer Info Center” to simply sign up on the schedule for dates! No need to fill out the application again. If you have any questions about volunteering, contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Mallory Gobet at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the role of a volunteer tutor?
- Tutoring simply means you will be reading one-on-one with our students. A tutor will most likely work with different students from week to week, assisting each student with his/her reading skills.While reading, we ask that you have the student practice reading out loud TO the volunteer (not the other way around). If the student’s teacher gives different instructions, you may listen to the classroom teacher. It is recommended that you come as consistently as you can, but we are flexible with our tutoring schedules.
Are there any requirements?
- Yes. All volunteers must be at least 12 years of age or older to participate. Any volunteers 18 years of age and above must fill out a Background Check Form. Please fill out and return. (You may email to email@example.com, OR mail it to The Upper Room at 2803 E. 51st Street, Kansas City, MO 64130.) This information can also be filled out via our Online Application.
How does scheduling work?
- Volunteers are able to schedule themselves online! We would love for volunteers to come as consistently as they can, but feel free to choose dates based on your own availability. Some volunteers may choose to come once a week, some may serve more or less frequently. To sign up online, please log in to the Volunteer Info Center and click “Sign up.” If you cannot log in to the Volunteer Info Center, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Is there any training required?
- Although training is not mandatory for volunteering, many volunteers find this video helpful in preparation for their first volunteer date. We are proud to work alongside Turn the Page KC, who produced this video for our use. Click here for a 5 minute training video!
If you have any questions or concerns regarding volunteering with The Upper Room, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Mallory Gobet, at email@example.com.