The After School Program is offered at the locations listed below. After School runs until 6 pm, Monday – Friday. Parents must pick up students by 6 p.m. For more information about the After School Program, please click here.
- Attucks Elementary, 2400 Prospect Ave. – Application
- Calvary Temple Baptist Church, 2940 Holmes Rd. – Application
- Garcia Elementary, 1000 W. 17th Street – Application
- Hogan Elementary, 5809 E. Michigan Ave. – Application
- Hogan Middle, 6409 Agnes Ave. – Application
- Holy Cross Catholic School, 121 N. Quincy Ave. – Application
- Metropolitan Missionary, 2310 E. Linwood Blvd. – Application
- Operation Breakthrough, 3909 Troost Ave. – Application
- St. James United Methodist Church, 5540 Wayne Ave. (Troost Elementary) – Application
We are proud to announce that the Mary L. Kelly Center is now open! To view the building features, programs and other information, please visit the official website for the center at www.marykellycenter.org.
Address: 2803 E. 51st Street, Kansas City, MO 64130
Main Office: (816) 923-2997
Kansas City Mayor Sly James is on board with the Upper Room’s efforts to improve student literacy. His pitch is to have every child reading at grade-level by the third grade. Working alongside other literacy organizations in Kansas City, the mayor has developed his own non-profit organization called Turn the Page KC.
In honor of our participation in Turn the Page KC, we had a special visit by Mayor James on July 12. We are currently the mayor’s largest partner in TTPKC.
James came to see the Summer Academic Camp in action at our site, Jamison Temple Church. While visiting, the mayor read to one of our 1st grade classes, and made a stop in all 7 classes to talk with individual children about their summer reading. The Upper Room is proud to walk alongside the mayor’s efforts in Kansas City.
The ONE to ONE Challenge is an opportunity to improve the educational outcomes of the children in the Kansas City community. As tutors in this effort, we are asking for ONE hour, ONE day a week to work with 1st, 2nd, or 3rd grade students ONE on ONE in reading.
After School Tutoring is ongoing throughout the school year. You may sign up at any time! Tutoring will take place from about 4:15pm – 6pm, Monday – Thursday. We have 6 locations to choose from this year. For more information about After School Tutor opportunities, click here.